Distinguishing Features: Small sticky buds, fruit is a small dry capsule
- Type: Deciduous
- Form at maturity: Up to 80 feet tall, straight trunk
- Leaf: Alternate, simple, broadly ovate, serrated margin, heart-shaped base, 4 to 7 inches long, petiole round, green above and paler below
- Flower: Dioecious; males occur in 1 inch long catkins, females occur in a sparse flowered catkin, appearing before leaves.
- Bark: Gray-brown, strongly vertically ridged
- Fruit or Seed: Half inch capsules in hanging catkins, appearing in spring