Distinguishing Features: Milky sap in leaf veins, young twigs may bace corky ridges
- Type: Deciduous
- Form at maturity: Small, low-branched, dense, rounded, 25 to 35 feet tall
- Leaf: Dark green leaves are 3-5 lobed, up to 4 inches across. Leaves turn variable shades of yellow in fall.
- Flower: Small, yellow-green flowers in clusters
- Bark: Greyish-black, shallow ridges and furrows
- Fruit or Seed: Samaras, 1.25 inches to 1.75 inches nutlet often pubescent pairs of samaras join to form a nearly straight line