Distinguishing Features: Young leaves are purplish, bright red fruits
- Type: Deciduous
- Form at maturity: Typically grows 15 to 25 feet tall
- Leaf: Finely toothed, obovate, bluish green leaves, 2-5 inches long, change to brilliant orange-red in autumn.
- Flower: Features 5-petaled, showy, slightly fragrant, white flowers in drooping clusters (racemes).
- Bark: Smooth when young, ashy-gray with dark stripes; later becoming rough with long splits and furrows.
- Fruit or Seed: Berries, resembling blueberries in size and color