Distinguishing Features: Small black fruit with a large seed, zigzag stem pattern
- Type: Deciduous
- Form at maturity: Typically grows 60-80 feet tall with a rounded spreading crown
- Leaf: Alternate leaf arrangement, simple leaves, narrow, ovate leaf shape yellowish green leaf color 2 to 4 inches long
- Flower: mostly monoecious, greenish flowers with male flowers in clusters and female flowers solitary.
- Bark: Light gray bark, smooth with corky ridges, slender brown stems with a zigzag stem pattern
- Fruit or Seed: Black drupe fruit, 0.25 inch in diameter