Distinguishing Features: Heart-shaped leaves that are purple when young, seeds are small, fleshy pods in pairs on stems
- Type: Deciduous
- Form at maturity: 40-60 feet tall, some trees pyramidal, others wide spreading
- Leaf: simple opposite leaves, crenate margins. Leaves emerge reddish purple, mature to medium green with a slight bluish tinge and turn quality shades of gold, orange and red in fall
- Flower: Male and female flowers are on separate trees. Tiny reddish flowers.
- Bark: Brown, shaggy and peeling on old trunks
- Fruit or Seed: Small pods, 2-4 on a stalk, pods release thin winged seeds