Distinguishing Features: Large thorns on branches, large flat and twisted pods
- Type: Deciduous
- Form at maturity: 50 to 60 feet tall, tall with a rounded spreading crown, some trees become nearly flat-topped
- Leaf: Pinnate to bipinnate, yellow green leaves 6 to 8 inches long with ovate leaflets (1/2 to 1 1/2 inches long). Pinnate leaves have 10-15 pairs of leaflets and bipinnate leaves have 4-7 pairs of pinnae. Leaves turn yellow in fall
- Flower: Greenish yellow to greenish white flowers appear in racemes
- Bark: Gray-brown color, develops elongated, smooth, plate-like patches separated by furrows, stems and main trunk can have large, branched thorns present.
- Fruit or Seed: 7 to 18 inches long, twisted, flattened, strap-like pods, approximately 1 inch wide, changes from green to dark brown