Distinguishing Features: Nuts in a papery sheath with curved spikes, long narrow pointy buds
- Type: Deciduous
- Form at maturity: Upright-oval to rounded-spreading crown, 50 feet to 70 feet tall and up to 120 feet wide
- Leaf: To 5 inches long, alternate , simple, serrate leaves, glossy dark green leaf above & light green below, fall color is bronze, have coarse, widely-spaced marginal teeth.
- Flower: Monoecious, yellowish green flowers , male flowers in drooping, long-stemmed, globular clusters and the female flowers in short spikes
- Bark: Light gray in color, smooth texture but wrinkled in appearance
- Fruit or Seed: Three-winged nut enclosed in spiky involucre, oval, .5 to 1 inch in diameter, hard, brown color